Excel and Word add-ins are used to view, analyze, and share information in Microsoft Dynamics AX. Bidirectional interoperability enables users to access and refresh data in Microsoft Dynamics AX without leaving Excel.
- The Office Add-ins for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 allows business users to work with data in the tools they are familiar with i.e. MS Office.
- The use of the Office Add-ins for Dynamics AX 2012 will allow users flexibility for tasks such as reporting, customized documents for different customers and more, all from within Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Word 2010.
- Data import can also be done with Office Add-ins.
Install the Office Add-Ins
In Microsoft Dynamics AX Setup, Select Components click Office Add-ins. When users select to install the Office add-ins, the Remote Desktop Services integration component is selected automatically. Click “Next” to complete the installation wizard.
When users installs the Office Add-ins, a new Microsoft Dynamics AX contextual tab is created on the ribbon in Excel and Word. Users can then use the controls on this tab to create and refresh data in an Excel spreadsheet or a Word document. Options like, Add data (for selecting service/ Query), Add Table (here you can select Tables from AX). You will also find option for publishing the data to and from Dynamics AX.
How to work with Excel Add-in
Fetch the Existing Data
- Open an Excel spreadsheet.
- Click the “Connection” button, from the ribbon, and make sure we are in the company account and instance we want to work on.
Here select table for customer group i.e. “CustGroup”.
4. Click on create worksheet; this will create a new worksheet for each of the selected tables.
5. Click on OK button, it will create a new worksheet i.e. shown below,
6. Click on “Field chooser” to add or remove fields to the worksheet, from the table on the left side. This can be achieved using either double click or drag/drop of any field will add a column binding (Insert as Column) to the location in focus.
7. Now click on “Field chooser” again, this will hide the field’s selection pane & will enable the “Refresh All” button. Select “Refresh All” will update the worksheet with the existing data from the selected entity of Dynamics AX.
Add/Modify the Existing data through Dynamics AX Add-In
- Modify customer group table by adding two new rows & publish the content.
2. Click on “Publish Data” & select “Publish options”, set it up as per the requirement & Click OK.
- Publish interactively – synchronous data publish
- Publish to folder – write to a file, and use AIF services to import the data.
- Track changes – when enabled, read, update, and delete supported. Disabled, created records only.
- Order of publishing – use when dependencies between order of objects in service or tables.
3. Click the publish button to insert/update records in AX.
4. Once published, it adds a new worksheet “Dynamics AX Status” to track the status.
5. Now , go to Dynamics AX, select the legal entity , in this case I am selecting CEU , also select Account Receivable>>Set up>> Customer group, and check for records that were inserted with the help of Excel Add-In
Result: Records have been successfully updated in AX with the help of Excel Add-In.
Written By: Neha Gupta (Dynamics AX Team, Cipher Dynamics)